Similar to adults, babies also come in a range of healthy sizes. Almost full-term babies (born between 37 and 40 weeks) will weigh between 2,500 grams and 4,000 grams. A baby who is heavier or lighter than the normal range is possible perfectly fine. However, he/she might get an extra attention from doctors and nurses after being born in order to ensure there are no serious trouble happening.
What determines the weight of a baby? There are couples of things influencing on a baby’s size at birth. The most important thing is the length of the pregnancy. The kids born at their due dates or later have a tendency to be larger than those born earlier. Meanwhile, the kids born too soon are often smaller than the full-term ones. Additionally, we also mention other vital factors, including:
- Parents’ size – If the parents are short, they might have smaller-than-common babies. If they’re tall, they will have larger-than-common babies.
- Birth order – Normally, the first kids are smaller than sisters or brothers born later.
- Various births – In case that you’re having twins or more, you can count on your children being nearly small. Having various births do not only make you share the developing space in uterus, you are also born early. And it’s the main reason to lead the small size for your babies.
- Gender – Boys tend to be larger while girls are smaller. However, the differences are insignificant at birth.
- Nutrition during the pregnancy – Getting appropriate nutrition is quite important for your child’s development in the uterus and thereafter. If you eat a poor diet during the pregnancy, it can influence on your baby’s weight and his/her growth beyond.
- Baby’s health – Therapeutic troubles, consisting of some birth deficiencies and particular infections obtained during the pregnancy, might influence on the baby’s birth weights and later development.
- Mother’s health during the pregnancy – Some factors that can affect a lower birth weight consist of a mother’s heart troubles, high blood pressure, or use alcohol, illegal drugs, or cigarettes during the pregnancy. If the mother is suffered from diabetes, her baby might have a higher birth weight. In sum, all conditions that can influence on the baby’s weight should be watched carefully by the doctors. Therefore, the mother must not drink alcohol, use illegal drugs, or smoke during this time to protect her unborn baby well.
Don’t hesitate to leave your comments about the question “What Determines The Weight Of A Baby”? Wait for 24 hours and then receive our answers for your troubles.